The Associate of Applied Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and the Associate of Applied Science degree in Echocardiography are designed to prepare graduates for employment in the healthcare industry in the sonography profession. Students who currently hold an AAS in Sonography/Echocardiography are eligible for admission to the Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Advanced Technical certificate.
Students must complete all appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA) and score high enough to place into college-level courses. Students must complete ENGL 1301 , MATH 1314 , PHYS 1410 , BIOL 2404 prior to submission of an application for the diagnostic medical sonography programs. RADR 1313 and RADR 2305 may be substituted for the PHYS course requirement. Interested students should visit the website, cyfair.LoneStar.edu/sonography, for information regarding technical standards for the profession, applications, and admission criteria for the program.
The Lone Star College-CyFair Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs (Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS, Echocardiography AAS, Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology ATC) are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS, 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043, 443-973-3251, www.jrcdms.org).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Hwy 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Clinical space is limited, so students are admitted on a competitive basis. In addition to the general admission requirements of the LSC, the following requirements must be met in order to apply for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS programs.
- College entry-level ability in mathematics and English (reading/writing) as defined by LSC. For further information contact the student development office.
- Completion of Intro to Anatomy and Physiology BIOL 2404 with a "C" or better within the previous five years and prior to submission of an application for the diagnostic medical sonography programs. If BIOL 2404 course is older than five years, contact the Diagnostic Medical Sonography department for options to repeat or refresh, and for details on score sheet calculation. If refreshing/repeating, the course must be completed prior to application submission.
- Complete the following courses with a "C" or better: ENGL 1301 , MATH 1314 (or other approved MATH courses) PHYS 1410 prior to submission of an application.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in college.
- Students must register for and take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Test. Test may be taken only one time per application period (available starting in January).
- Must complete Hepatitis B immunization series and all required immunizations and Titers (this may take up to 6 months or longer to complete) by deadline set by program. Applicants must provide written documentation of all immunizations or titers received. Refer to college-approved form found on the website. Students must complete the healthcare provider CPR training by deadline set by program.
- Prospective students are required to attend an information session for the current application period and obtain an information session certificate.
- Final acceptance into the program is contingent upon a satisfactory background check (as required by clinical facilities) that is completed by a college approved agency at the student's expense. Clinical facilities may also require completion of satisfactory drug screening, and require verification of medical insurance.
Applicants who have withdrawn from any LSC sonography program will be considered on an individual basis. Readmission is not automatic. It is based on remediation of identified problem area and space availability. Students who wish to be readmitted must interview with the program's Readmission Committee and follow current readmission guidelines. At this interview, the student will be asked to describe what steps have been taken in the intervening months to improve the chance of success and an action plan for improvement of academic and/or clinical performance. In addition, students seeking readmission must submit three letters of their standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a "report of status" from the former program director. Readmission into the sonography program must occur within one year of non-completion. A student may be readmitted into the sonography one time only.
An individual's request to transfer into any LSC sonography program will be reviewed on an individual basis by the program director, and only after meeting Lone Star College entrance requirements. Transfer students must meet all admission requirements of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. It is recommended to allow a minimum of three months for processing. Class placement is based on previous achievement and space availability. Admission is considered only if prior program enrollment has been within one (1) year and the candidate is in good standing in a program or in previous program. All of the following steps must be completed for consideration.
- Completion of official transfer application.
- Written statement from the student describing his/her reasons for originally leaving the program.
- Submit current official transcripts from any colleges or universities that the student has attended.
- Submit three letters of his/her standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a "report of status" from the former program director.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Advanced Technical Certificate