The program offers certificates for the facial specialist, instructor license and operator license. The certificate program is a full-time, 1,500 hour program for Cosmetology Operator certificate and full-time, 750 hour program for Facial Specialist certificate and 750 hour program for Cosmetology Instructor certificate. All three certificate programs are approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, graduates are eligible to take the state exam. Upon passing the state exam, program graduates become licensed to practice in the State of Texas.
Graduates of the cosmetology certificate programs have many employment opportunities including becoming a hair dresser, skin care specialist, and make-up artist. Other areas may be to become a research assistant in the cosmetology industry, a sales representative for a beauty product, or beauty editor for newspapers and magazines. Salaries vary depending upon the place of employment and the graduate’s skills and number of work hours.
Three associate of applied science degrees are available in this program. The general education core courses will transfer to a variety of universities. Contact the counselor or advisor at any college for specific information and to obtain the recommended sequencing of courses.
Cosmetology is offered at two locations, LSC-Kingwood LoneStar.edu/cosmetology-dept and at LSC-North Harris cosmetology program is held at the CHI LSC-North Harris School of Cosmetology LoneStar.edu/CHIschool, a unique partnership which includes the world-renowned methods and products of Farouk Systems, Inc.
Admission criteria for Facial Specialist and Cosmetology Operator Certificate
In addition to the LSC admission requirements, the following are requirements for admission to the cosmetology program:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum age of 17 years.
- Mandatory attendance at a scheduled orientation session or departmental approval.
- Program admission for students with previous college experience requires that the student be in disciplinary good standing at all former institutions. No student will be admitted who is under disciplinary suspension status from another college or institution. Any such status requires positive resolution from the other institution before a student will be considered for cosmetology admission.
After program admission approval, the student must have the registration form approved by the cosmetology academic counselor.
Admission criteria for Cosmetology Instructor Certificate
In addition to the LSC admission requirements the following are requirements for admission to the cosmetology instructor certificate.
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Current Texas operator’s license.
3. Within the past five years, applicants must have a minimum of three years of work experience as a licensed cosmetologist versed in all phases of cosmetology. Verification will be required.
4. Completion of 12 semester hours in general education including ENGL 1301 .
5. Minimum age of 18 years.
6. Must pass comprehensive cosmetology placement examination before taking any cosmetology instructor classes.
*Associate of Applied Science Degrees in Cosmetology, Facial, and Cosmetology Instructor require TSI placement and additional credits.
Once admitted to the cosmetology program, a student must attain a grade of “C” or better in each cosmetology course as well as satisfactory attendance record (refer to Cosmetology Student Handbook) in order to progress in the program.
A student who withdraws from the cosmetology program may be re-admitted only once with the recommendation of the department faculty.
Cosmetology programs are available at LSC-Kingwood LoneStar.edu/cosmetology-dept and CHI © Lone Star College-North Harris School of Cosmetology LoneStar.edu/CHIschool.