Areas of Study - Degrees & Certificates > Energy, Manufacturing & Construction > Land Surveying and Mapping Technology Program
The land surveying & mapping technology program prepares students to enter a high-tech profession that uses state-of-the-art equipment to determine the location and measurement of improvements and other physical features above or below the earth’s surface. Surveying is an integral component for land development by civil engineers, municipal planners, and the construction industry. As a land surveying and mapping technician, one may conduct projects that include boundary, control, hydrographic, photogrammetric and engineering design surveys, with a typical client base of engineers, architects, municipalities, real estate and land developers, along with federal, state and local transportation agencies, and the petrochemical industry..
Each level of training prepares a student for different levels of certifications that are becoming highly valued by employers in the surveying industry.
- The Land Surveyor certificate covers the core concepts and prepares a student to take the NSPS Level II and Level III Certification for the Survey Technician.
- The Land Surveying and Mapping Technology Associate of Applied Science degree prepares students to take either the NSPS Level IV Certification for the Survey Technician or with two years of experience, to take the Texas Board of Professional Land Surveying (TBPLS) Surveyor-in-Training (S.I.T.) exam.
- If a student continues and completes a bachelor’s degree and has the required 2 year’s experience as an S.I.T., the student may sit for the Registered Professional Land Surveyor exam.
The general education core courses as well as several individual surveying and drafting courses will transfer to a variety of universities. Contact the division counselor for specific information and to obtain the recommended sequencing of courses at 936.273.7320.
The following website has more information about this program: LoneStar.edu/land-surveying-technology-dept.
By completing the program, students will earn two awards:
- Land Surveyor, Level 1 Certificate
- Land Surveying and Mapping Technology, AAS
Land Surveyor, Level 1 Certificate
[C1_SRV1 offered at LSC-Montgomery]
Total Credit Hours Required for Certificate: 32
|Level 1 Certificate Completed
Land Surveying and Mapping Technology, AAS
[AAS_SRVY offered at LSC-Montgomery]
Prerequisite: Completion of Land Surveyor, Level 1 Certificate
Total Credit Hours Required for Degree: 60